Western Junior Hurling Champs 2010

Tourin/Glen Rovers captain Daniel Leahy and team-mates receiving the Western Junior Hurling Cup from Paddy Walsh, Chairman of the Western GAA Board; included is Helena Byrne, The Local Bar, Championship sponsor.(Image-Sean Byrne/Deise Sport)

Western JH Final: Tourin/ Glen Rovers 2-18 Ballinameela 2-14

THE curtain raiser at the Fraher Field on Saturday afternoon last provided patrons with a thrilling Western junior hurling final as Ballinameela staged a wonderful come-back to really rattle the prematch favourites Tourin/Glen Rovers who lead by 1-7 to 0-2 at the end of the opening quarter as playing slick skilful hurling they quite simply be-dazzled Ballinameela in that opening surge. Tourin playing into the road goal with the slight breeze to their backs were on target per Darragh Fives (free) and ’65 before Conor Buckley pointed for Ballinameela; Daithi Wilkinson and David Phelan ‘65 traded points. In the 7th minute, Sean Leahy struck for a well taken goal. Darragh Fives (free) and from play, Ryan McGlone and Daithi Wilkinson left Tourin full 8 points clear, 1-7 to 0-2 by the 15th minute. Brian Phelan who had an excellent outing steadied Ballinameela with a fine point, with Darragh Fives ‘65 replying. Eamon Walsh blasted for a goal, his effort was saved with Conor Buckley pointing the rebounding ball. Tom Curran landed a fine point; Darragh Fives (free) from play concluded Tourin’s first half scoring. Then great work by Brian Phelan put Eoin Walsh in the clear and he kicked the ball to the net,1-10 to 1-5 at the interval.


The opening 10 minutes of the second half produced a similar pattern of play as Darragh Fives (frees) and Brian Leahy traded points with Eamon Walsh (0-2), 1-13 to 1-7. Now Ballinameela began to up the ante, as Eoin Walsh got a touch to a long ball in to put the ball in the net in the 41st minute, 1-13 to 2-7. David Leahy, Daithi Wilkinson had Tourin points before John Harrington and Aiden Browne were on target for Ballinameela who were surging forward with intent as Eamon Walsh (free), John Harrington, David Phelan after an interchange from a ‘65 and Eamon Walsh with a truly magnificent point from a sideline cut levelled up matters by the 52nd minute at 1-16 to 2-13. In truth Tourin were rattled at this stage. Tourin switched Shane Fives to attack as Daithi Wilkinson and John Harrington exchanged points, 1-17 to 2-14 by the 54th minute with the excitement at fever pitch. Ballinameela drove a brace of wides before the unerring Darragh Fives was again on target from a long range free in the 58th minute, 1-18 to 2-14. Ballinameela were again off target twice and then in time added on James Maher, Tom Kiely and Michael Scanlon battled for possession with Shane Fives arriving to put the ball in the net, 2-18 to 2-14 for a somewhat flattering 4 point win for Tourin/Glen Rovers

For Tourin/Glen Rovers Colm Bennett, Kevin Leahy, Brendan Scanlon, Shane Fives, Sean Leahy, Brian Leahy, Darragh Fives, Daithi Wilkinson were best. Brian Phelan, Eamon Walsh, David Phelan, Aiden Browne, John Harrington and Eoin Walsh being best for Ballinameela.

Chairman Paddy Walsh presented the cup to Tourin/Glen Rovers’ captain Daniel Leahy who came on in the final quarter to score a crucial point.

Scorers: Tourin/Glen Rovers: D. Fives 0-11, D. Wilkinson 0-4, S. Leahy 1-0, S. Fives 1-0, R. McGlone, B. Leahy, D. Leahy (0-1) each. Ballinameela: Eoin Walsh 2-0, Eamon Walsh 0-4, J. Harrington 0- 3, C. Buckley 0-2, D. Phelan 0-2, B.Phelan, T. Curran, A. Browne (0-1) each.

Tourin/Glen Rovers: Colm Bennett; Jamie Dalton, Kevin Leahy, Mark Landers; Donal McGrath, Shane Fives, Brendan Scanlon; Sean Leahy, Brian Leahy; Ray McGlone, Daithi Wilkinson, Darragh Fives; David Leahy, Michael Scanlon, Diarmuid Nugent. Subs: Brian Hennessy for D. Nugent; Daniel Leahy for D. Leahy.

Ballinameela: James Maher; Shane Flavin, Tom Kiely, Terry McCarthy; Tom Power, David Phelan, Aidan Ahearne; Eamon Walsh, Brian Phelan; Tom Curran, Aidan Browne, Conor Buckley; John Harrington, Caiman Radley, Eoin Walsh. Sub: Mike Walsh for T. McCarthy

Referee: P. Fitzgerald (Lismore)

Match Report-Dungarvan Observer


Kill goalkeeper Peter Torpey cut a lonely and disconsolate figure as he slumped to his knees when the final whistle signalled the end of this dramatic and wonderfully entertaining Junior Hurling Final at Walsh Park on Sunday last. Seconds earlier the teams had been level and the game was heading for a draw that would have been the most acceptable result for all concerned at that time.

Tourin/Glen Rovers were given a chance to win the game when the ball fell to Daithi Wilkinson some sixty metres out from the Kill goal. He had a free shot at a point to win the game but to the dismay of his side’s supporters he failed to get a clean strike and the ball looked set to be gathered by Torpey as it came in low, and harm-lessly, without an opponent in sight but to the dismay of the Kill following the ball appeared to strike a divot in front of the goalie and was deflected off its path to the net. The final whistle followed and Tourin celebrated a sensational victory.

It was an amazing finish to a quiet brilliant game in which both sides gave everything and in which each enjoyed periods of supremacy. On each occasion that one side seemed set to push on to victory they were reeled in and in the end it was no surprise that it took a twist of fate to decide the issue.

From the start it was obvious that both teams were very much up for this game as it opened at a cracking pace. County minor Darragh Fives served early notice that his free taking was going to have a bearing on the result as he put his side into the lead inside a minute. Ben Gallagher seemed to have a good case for a free at the other end but was denied before his chance came to equalise, from a free, in the fourth minute. Mick Ahearne and Darragh Fives exchanged points as did Conor Hennessy and Fives, from his third free, to leave the sides still deadlocked after twelve minutes. Ray Hennessy put Ben Gallagher in for a fine point and Kill enjoyed a good spell between the 13th and 20th minutes as points from Ray Hennessy and a Gallagher free put them into a three point lead.

Kill were playing the better hurling at this stage and their teamwork in particular was impressive. Shane Fives sent over a long range free in the 21st minute to steady his side but Mick Ahearne hit back with his second point for Kill in the 25th minute. A great run forward by Shane Fives set up Brian Hennessy for a fine point and now it was Tourins’ turn to show their paces as Sean Leahy and Darragh Fives weighed in with points to level the scores with two minutes remaining in the half. The Tourin pressure looked set to pay big dividends when an angled shot at goal from Raymond McGlone came back off the far post and somehow spun out wide at the near post with the goal-keeper beaten. Kill responded however to regain the initiative at the end of the half with Anthony Kiely shooting narrowly wide before Ray Hennessy put his side back into the lead with a late point to leave the half time score Kill 0 - 8, Tourin 0 - 7.

Just two minutes into the second half the sides were level again with another point from a free by Darragh Fives but Mick Ahearn won the Ball from Torpey’s puck out and he put Ben Gallagher through for a fine point. Anton Lennon followed up with another good point and after the same player had missed a very good chance Ray Hennessy set Ahearne up for his third point and, despite facing into the breeze, Kill were looking good at this point.

As in the first half, however, Tourin rose to the challenge and it was Darragh Fives again who started the revival with a point from a free in the 37th minute and inside two more minutes Sean Leahy and Daithi Wilkinson had the sides level for the sixth time in the game. Tourin took the lead for the first time since the opening minute when Fives struck again from a free in the 41st minute but after Gallagher had again levelled matters for Kill points from Fives and Brendan Scanlon saw their side into a two point lead in the 48th minute.

The game now appeared to be going Tourin’s way as Ben Gallagher shot narrow-ly wide but in the 51st minute the Western champions were rocked when a dangerous lob into the Tourin goalmouth was tentatively blocked down by Colm Bennett into the path of the lurking Jack Power and the Kill substitute first timed the ball to the net for a 1 - 12 to 0 - 14 lead.

The pressure was now back on Tourin as they sent Shane Fives forward into the attack. Darragh Fives was wide, for the first time in the game, from a free and Brian Leahy was also wide from a good position as the clock ran down with Kill battling tenaciously to hold on to their lead. With less than a minute to go Tourin were awarded a free and Darragh Fives conquered the pressure to send over the equalising point.

Both sides would have settled for the draw as the game moved into the designated three minutes of added time but it seemed like Kill might regain the lead when Ray Hennessy won the ball in midfield and set out to open the Tourin defence with a run across field. To the dismay of his supporters he took the ball to hand for a third time and Darragh Fives was presented with a free for the winning point. Once again however the ball drifted just wide of the posts.

It was Kill who went back on the attack but Mick Ahearne squandered a great chance as he shot wide from a strong position. From the puck out it was Tourin’s turn to get in a strike and Shane Five’s effort seemed to have veered inside the upright but to the dismay of the Tourin following the umpire signalled wide.

The draw now seemed inevitable and then came Wilkinson’s dramatic, if fortuitous winning goal that set off wild celebration for the big Tourin/Glen Rovers following and broke Kill hearts, not least of goalkeeper Peter Torpey.

This was a game in which either side would be considered worthy of victory and in the event the dice fell right for Tourin/Glen Rovers in those dying seconds to make them worthy champions at the end of a game that was a credit to both teams and to Waterford hurling. The winners now go on to represent the county in the Munster championship and they have the best wishes of all within the county.

It was a great team effort by the winners who had Caomhin Leahy, Shane Fives and Brendan Scanlon prominent in defence with Darragh Fives making a huge contribution from play in midfield as well as from frees. In attack Sean Leahy, Daithi Wilkinson and Micheal Scanlon impressed most.

For a Kill side that gave its all Peter Torpey had a fine game in goal and was most unfortunate in the end to beaten for the match winning score.Aidan Whelan and Feral Whelan stood out in defence while Anthony Kiely was prominent in mid-field all through. In attack, Ben Gallagher, Mick Ahearne and Ray Hennessy stood out.

Scorers:- Tourin/Glen Rovers - D. Fives 0 - 9(7Fs), D/Wilkinson 1 - 1, S. Leahy 0 - 2, B. Scanlon, S. Fives, and B. Hennessy 0 - 1 each.

Kill - B. Gallagher 0 - 5(3Fs), M. Ahearn 0 - 3, J. Power 1 - 0, R. Hennessy 0 - 2, C. Hennessy and A. lannon 0 - 1 each.

TOURIN/GLEN ROVERS - C. Bennett, S. Dalton, C. Leahy, M. Landers, D. Leahy, S. Fives, B. Scanlon, D. Fives, B. Leahy, S. Leahy, M. Scanlon, R. McGlone, D. Leahy, D. Wilkinson, B. Hennessy. Subs: D. Nugent for D. Leahy, D. McGrath for C. Leahy.

KILL - P. Torpey, F. Cleary, A. Power, K. O’Regan, L. Lennon, A. Whelan, F. Whelan, N. Hennessy, A. Kiely, B. Gallagher, M. Ahearne, C. Ryan, C. Hennessy, A. Lennon, R. Hennessy. Subs - B. Mooney for C. Ryan, J. Power for C. Hennessy, M. Hennessy for A. Lennon.

Referee- J. Condon (An Rinn). Match report:Phil Fanning (Waterford News and Star)

County Junior Hurling Champs 2009 Tourin/Glen Rovers County Junior Hurling Champs 2009 -Image-Sean Byrne/DeiseSport