Tourin/Ballinwillin

Short History of Tourin/ Ballinwillin GAA

The Ballinwillin Football Club was formed in 1912. The colours worn were royal blue and white. The club won the 1912 Junior Football Championship defeating Kickhams of Waterford in the county final. This was actually played in 1913. Then club then went out of existence. In 1940 the Tourin club was formed at a meeting in Tourin school house. Red and White were chosen as the club colours. Unlike Ballinwillin the new club became pre-eminent as a hurling club. It won the 1941 county junior title defeating Ballytruckle in the final. It had further success in this grade in 1949 once more winning the county title. Junior at that time corresponded with the current Intermediate grade. The club now went senior and sensationally defeated Mt.Sion by 3-7 to 2-5 in the 1950 Co. Final.

1941 Team And Subs v Ballytruckle

J McGrath, J O'Donnell, M Murray, J O'Donoghue, D Landers, J Fives, Moss Landers, J McCarthy, M Landers, T Fives, M O'Donnell, E McSweeney, J Ormonde, C Murray, T Whelan Subs: S Barry, D Murray, M Neville, J O'Keeffe

1950 Team And Subs

Johnny McGrath, Danny Murray, Davey Walsh, Haudles McGrath, Dick Doocey, Jack Fives, Liam Doocey, Johnny McCarthy, Jim Russell, Patie Ahearn, Tom Fives, Mick Regan,Tom Doocey, Mickey Murray, Jim Fives, Donnacha Murray,Tommy O'Donoghue, Neil Collender

In 1952 Ballinwillin won the County Junior Football title. In 1963 Tourin won the Primary hurling title. In 1971 the County Junior Football title was won. In 1977 and 2009 (with Glen Rovers) the club won County Junior Hurling titles. It also won the All Ireland Junior Mini 7's Hurling title in 2009. In 2011 it defeated Cappoquin to win the Western Intermediate hurling title.

Camogie

In 1983 a camogie club was set up. Unfortunately the club went out of existence in the late 80s due to emigration.

From the time of its inception in 1940 to 1970 the club had no grounds of its own. A deep debt of gratitude is due to the local families who put fields at the disposal of the club: The O'Donnell family,Killahala, the Scanlan family, Ballinwillin, and JJ O'Donnells family in Tourin. In 1970 a decision was made to approach the Jameson family with a view to acquiring a permanent home for the club. Present at the meeting with Shane Jameson and Didi Jameson in Tourin House were:Jim and Angela Collender, JJ O'Donnell, JJ Scanlan and Ollie Wilkinson. The Jameson family duly obliged and the present site was chosen. The site could be used as long as the Tourin club existed. It was given free gratis.. In the 1980s a new hall was built on this site thanks to the voluntary labour of so many.

With the arrival of the twenty first century it was obvious that an upgrading of the hall was necessary. The committee set about this with gusto. Money was raised through Car Boot Sales, Table Quizzes, Fashion Shows,Christmas and Easter Hamper Draws, American Tea Parties and Nights at the Races. The National Lottery, Munster Council and Waterford County Council also provided assistance. The Community Hall has a meeting room, kitchen, changing rooms and shower facilities an upstairs viewing area for overlooking the GAA grounds itself and a viewing gallery on the main hall. The Hall was officially opened on July 16, 2010 by the President of the GAA Christy Cooney. To mark the opening Tourin played Blackrock of Limerick for the Donal Barry Cup. Sadly some of those who played a major role in the development of the Hall down through the years are no longer with us: Donal Barry, Johnjoe O'Donnell, Gerald McGrath, Jim Collender.